I wrote up my objections here - and reproduce them in this post:
Why do human values have this problem, while science, math, technology and language do not? That seems fairly simple: science, math, technology and language are places where the interestes of memes and genes are aligned. Whereas values are an area where they are typically different.My other objection is to Robin's terminology. I would prefer the term "cultural drift" to be a close synonym of "memetic drift" - the cultural analog of "genetic drift". Robin uses the term differently - claiming that he is using the common meaning of the term "drift" in the dictionary. I think that Robin's somewhat irregular use of terminology likely to cause confusion.It is the common interest of many memes to turn humans into meme spreaders: preachers, teachers and influencers - and to make sure that no DNA-based offspring distract them from this task.
The problem is not anything to do with making too many undirected value changes in a row and then going off the rails. If that was the problem then math, science and technology would have the same issue. It's because human DNA genes now have a powerful opponent. A systematic competitor for reproductive resources.
This is why I am opposed to the "drift" story. It seems like a misdiagnosis of the problem. It makes it harder to solve our problems if we don't have an accurate picture of their causes.
Here is Robin's definition of culture:
But they look more worrisome re the cultural norms and game-theory-equilibria parameters that are hard to change individually, culturally-set features analogous to the harder-to-evolve DNA-set features that define biological species, as compared to DNA-set features that can vary easily within such species. (Biology DNA evolves faster with more smaller species, as that better promotes these more important species-defining features.) I’ll call these features “culture”.
I think a more reasonable term for that is "macro-culture". There's also "micro-culture" - by analogy with "macroeconomics" and "microeconomics".
No comments:
Post a Comment