One Dr. Robert Finkelstein has been apparently been running the project since 2006 under the sponsorship of the department of defense.
Perpare to have all your memes weaponised!
They have a web site and a presentation document, ...which explains their mission. The presentation style of this is rather zany. To quote from it:
PURPOSE OF A MILITARY MEMETICS PROGRAMThe web site also says:
- To develop a new approach to
- Countering terrorists and insurgents beforeand afterthey become terrorists and insurgents: influencing beliefs in a scientific way
- Preventing irrational conflict and promoting rational solutions to national and international problems
- Strengthening the U.S. military in
- Peacekeeping missions
- Psychological operations
- To make new discoveries concerning the human brain, cognition, and social networks
The attempt to establish a scientific basis for memetics is critically important. For example, within a suitable memetics framework could be the means to prevent irrational conflict and promote rational solutions to endemic national and international problems. Of course, without safeguards memetics can become a double-edged sword.Right on.
- Waage, Erick (2013) Applications of the Memetic Perspective in Inform and Influence Operations
- Finkelstein, Robert and Ayyub, Bilal M. (2009) Memetics for Threat Reduction in Risk Management